Tonight’s devotion at 7pm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fE-4hF1ZB8) is only 10 minutes long and focuses on the Seven Last Words of Christ. I will share some of my reflections on Jesus’ last words and us being apart during this Holy time. The devotion takes place outside at Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church in their outdoor chapel, cemetery, and briars in the woods. A note for parents, because the context of the devotional time is on Jesus’ death on the cross, if you are watching with your children, you might want to provide some context for our younger worshipers.
The scriptures and topics are listed below for your devotional time today and tonight at 7pm:
1. “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” (Luke 23:34) Compassion through forgiveness.
2. “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:43) Comfort through faithful words of hope and promise.
3. “Woman, behold, your son. . . .Behold, your mother.” (John 19:26–27) Caring for one another like family.
4.“My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Matt. 27:46; Mark 15:34) Courage to call on God in the toughest of times.
5. “I thirst.” (John 19:28) Connect with the humanity of each other with empathy.
6. “It is finished.” (John 19:30) Complete your calling and tasks relying on God for strength.
7. “Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit!” (Luke 23:46) Commit ourselves daily to God and one another in love.